My canvas for food, photography and life.....

I believe that there is a deep association between food and memories.. every recipe has a story behind it...some long..some short....
So grab a cup of coffee, pull a chair and enjoy the little stories that I share with you.....some with recipes.....some without ....

A wonderful poet once said "The universe is not made of atoms ; it's made of stories"... And I couldn't agree more.....

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Savoury Sabudana (Sago) Khichdi


 
 
"I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think" - Rumi
 
That is exactly the reason that I write this blog. It is just my way of singing my song...just for the pure joy of it... To me, it is important to keep some parts of my life like that...just pure sacred.. not subject to anyone's judgement. So I really don't want to give a thought to how simple or humble any recipe is or how many times it has been written before. If it makes me sing and I want to sing its delicious song, then I pen it down. This is one of my favourites and I want its presence here. So here goes.... :)
 
Sabudana Khichdi is a savoury dish made of Sago pearls and is a very famous Maharashtrian  recipe with cumin seeds, green chillies, boiled potatoes and crushed peanuts usually had on fasting days. Me and fasting just don't go together so I make it whenever I feel like having it. You can have it with a squeeze of lime or accompanied with a cucumber relish or some grated fresh coconut on top. Its yummy either ways. Growing up, I never realized that Sago is available in so many parts of the world so it was my utter delight to find it in the supermarkets everywhere. I was totally delighted that I could make it anywhere I wanted. :) I was also surprised to find that outside of India, Sago is mostly prepared in the form of sweets and desserts such as puddings but in Maharashtra, which is in the western part of India, the savoury versions are more popular than the sweet ones...the most famous being this khichdi (which is more like a stir fry), vadas (big round fritters) and kheers (sweet porridge).  The ingredients in this particular recipe are really simple and easy to find in any part of the world. Do try it out.. You'll love it!! :)
 
 
 
This particular dish reminds me of the wonderful student years that I spent in Pune for my post graduation. We would ride our scooties fearlessly(sometimes even in our cobalt blue sarees!) and go to KNP and have cheap breakfast of pohe and this yummy khichdi and then top with extra sweet ginger tea. Gosh! I could dedicate a whole blog to that and as clich├ęd as it may sound.. those really were the best days ever!! The student spirit somehow keeps me going and I never want to let it go.... We hardly had any money those days, had such idealistic dreams..:), such amazing friends and such lovely conversations at the chai tapri at such ungodly hours with endless possibilities of what lay ahead of us. And thanks to all the social networks and phone apps (and I mean it in a good way) we now can see how it all turned out for all of us.. how adorable all our kids look like..... what we cooked for dinner.. and whom we fought with today.. and  review the movie we saw tonite :) Really!! :) Who would have imagined that when we said such tearful goodbyes to each other?? Seriously!!
 
So to relive the nostalgia...cook up the khichdi and don't forget to top it up with extra sweet ginger tea.....boiled to death till the darkest brown shade possible.. Njoy!!
 
Ingredients :
 
250 gms Sabudana (Sago pearls)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp finely cut green chillies
1 softly boiled potato, chopped in cubes
3 tsp crushed peanuts
1/2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1 tsp ghee (vegetable oil)
1 tsp chopped coriander for garnish
 
Recipe :
 
1. Soak the sago pearls in water overnight. The quantity of water should be about two horizontal fingers higher than the sago level. The Sago pearls will soak up all the water and become soft and fluffy overnight.
2. Take a wok and add ghee or oil, cumin seeds, chopped green chillies and boiled potato cubes.
3. Add the soaked Sago pearls and stir well.
4. Add salt, sugar and crushed peanuts and again stir well.
5. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes till the sago is completely cooked. Garnish with chopped coriander.
6. Serve it either with lemon, fresh grated coconut or a cucumber relish (chopped cucumber mixed with curd)
 

2 comments:

Ehren said...

My favourite tooo !!
My daughter loves it too..
Its a must-have at our place

Shilpa said...

So good to hear that!! I didn't know that Kate loves it too...:)